- Bicycle Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Sex Abuse Of Children
- Sexual Assault Victims
- Slip & Falls
- Spine Injuries
- Truck Accidents
- Workers’ Compensation
- Wrongful Death
Hartford Brain Injury Attorneys
Our Brain Injury Law Group Offers Compassionate Representation
Traumatic and acquired brain injuries lead to debilitating side effects that can persist over a lifetime. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 1.4 million Americans suffer from brain injuries every year.
If you sustained a brain injury in an accident, you may be able to collect compensation for the full extent of your damages. The Hartford brain injury attorneys at Goff Law Group have extensive experience handling these types of cases and are prepared to fight for justice and compensation on your behalf.
What Is a Brain Injury?
There are two main types of brain injuries: traumatic brain injury (TBI) and acquired brain injury. The former results from an outside force, such as blunt force trauma suffered in a car accident or a sports-related accident; the latter may be the result of a stroke, aneurysm, or another health condition. Any brain injury disrupts normal brain functioning and can have a wide range of serious side effects.
Brain Injury Symptoms
The most common initial symptoms of a brain injury include:
- A headache that won’t go away
- Mood changes
- Inability to concentrate
- Memory loss
- Blurred vision
In some cases, the symptoms of a brain injury appear over time. For this reason, some people don’t realize they have sustained a brain injury until days or even weeks after an accident.
The Most Common Causes of TBI
Traumatic brain injuries can occur in virtually any scenario, but some are more statistically common than others.
According to the CDC, some of the most common causes of TBI include:
- Falls: Nearly half of all diagnosed cases are caused by falls. Elderly people are the most likely to experience a brain injury from a fall.
- Motor vehicle accidents (MVA): A passenger or driver may sustain a concussion or other severe injury from striking a dashboard, airbag, or even as the result of whiplash.
- Being struck by an object: This is the second leading cause of traumatic brain injury in children under the age of 15. Playing recreational sports such as football, hockey, or soccer, present a particularly high risk.
- Violent crime: Crimes like assault and battery account for around 10% of all reported traumatic brain injuries. This also includes things like maltreatment, elder abuse, and shaken baby syndrome.
The Elements of a Brain Injury Case
Brain injury cases require a unique and aggressive approach, particularly because they require substantial evidence and because the injuries often develop long after an accident.
Collecting damages for a brain injury requires providing sufficient evidence for the following elements:
- The party responsible for the person’s injuries owed them a duty of care
- The defendant (person facing a civil claim) violated his or her duty of care by committing negligence
- That negligence directly led to the plaintiff’s (party pursuing the civil claim) injuries
- The plaintiff suffered harm as a result
The liable party for a brain injury may vary depending on the circumstances. A fall at a nursing home, for example, may lead to a claim against a negligent facility, while a brain injury during a football game may result in a claim against a child’s school.
A Hartford brain injury attorney from Goff Law Group can identify the party responsible and work to hold them accountable for their actions.
Damages in a Brain Injury Case
The victim of a brain injury may collect several types of damages in relation to the harm he or she suffered.
Examples of common damages include compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Physical pain
- Loss in life quality
- The cost of future care
- Loss in earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- The cost of accommodations to a victim’s home
If you or a loved one are suffering the effects of a traumatic brain injury, the Hartford brain injury attorneys at Goff Law Group can assess your situation and develop a strategic approach to help you seek justice. Let us help you gain compensation for your injuries, pain, and other harms.